Saturday, February 18, 2012

Social Media

How many people do you know who doesn't have a Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or any other social media page?  I honestly cannot say I know a single person without one.  And it's not only people that have them, but many companies, organizations, and teams also have them, too.  Social media pages have gotten to the point to where they almost control us.  The first thing most people do when they turn on their computers and go to the internet and check their Facebook or Twitter.  As much as I hate to admit it, I do the same.  If I go on the internet to check my e-mail, or my Manhattan, 99% of the time I open up a new tab and see what's going on on my Facebook or Twitter.  I'm not necessarily saying it is a bad thing because it does keep you in touch with friends and family who you don't get to see everyday, but when a user posts everything that happens in their life every 5 minutes, that's where I draw the line.  No one needs to be so close and personal with someone that they need to know when they're going to the bathroom or any other act like that.  In my opinion, things like that aren't necessary to let the world know about.  On the more positive side, most users aren't like that.  I enjoy following some of my favorite actors/actresses, as well as sports teams to keep me updated about them.  Social  media is a great thing as long as we don't use it so much to the extent that we are abusing it.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with about the over use of the social networks. Some people take it way to far by posting all of their actions and events for the day. Not everyone wants to know your every move and if they do then you have some serious problems. (Stalker alert) But like you said, fortunately not everyone is like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank every devine being in the universe for people who make sense. I never understood people who had the need to update and let the world know what they are doing all the time. And as to the original question, I know a lot of people without one of those accounts, but their all adults; e.i. my mom, my dad, my aunt, parents of friends, some teachers I talk to, and even my dance instructors. My point? The older generation doesn't feel the same need we do to have a social network account.

    ReplyDelete